Thursday, May 17, 2007

Find Me A Singaporean


I’m appalled. This is the first time I’m watching this show, "Find Me a Singaporean” and I didn’t expect it to be so heartwarming. The show revolves around host Belinda Lee traveling to all places in the world searching for a Singaporean. They were there for different reasons. In today’s show, she arrived at Yunnan China, to visit a psycho-therapist, Chen Fang-Fang.

The journey started off by introducing Fang-Fang who is a volunteer in China. She has been climbing up the mountains, bringing medical aid and therapy to the villagers. The villagers whom she is providing aid to are either orphans or mental patients.

In one of the residence they visited, there was this 26 year old guy who was kept within 4 walls (stack up by wooden planks), similar to a pig ark for 8 years. The host was shocked. The guy was suffering from some mental illness and it led him to go into rage at times. At the age of 18, he burnt down his house when he had an outbreak. His family had no choice but to put him up in a pig ark. As much as I know about how suppressed some villagers are in China, I didn’t expect that such things existed.

Towards the end of the show, Belinda broke down in tears. I’m impressed with how she had fought back her tears throughout the interview with the patient. I’m even more impressed with Fang-Fang, against all odds stayed and help out the needy people in this place for 3 years. This show really taught me something. I’m going to catch it again next week. You should too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with you wholeheartedly. S'pore, despite being a little red dot, we have very noble & selfless singaporeans helping the less fortunate ones in other parts of the world. the new season of this programme is great too!

Cheers!

DannyWatt said...

my pastor's daughter was featured in the mongolia episode!

Glorious Citizen said...

Hi Anonymous... Yes I agree with you! Singapore despite small, we do really have alot to offer...

Hi Danny... Thanks for dropping by! I was away but I've managed to tape the Mongolia episode and looking forward to watch it soon!

Chyun Tok Finne said...

I jus watch it now.. when was this show? and i wonder how we can help fang fang? she in need of doctor and medicin...

Glorious Citizen said...

Finne

This was actually the previous season... I'm not too sure how we could help but I'm sure there are many more who's in need of such help... Ever thought of writing to MediaCorp?

Anonymous said...

To share something with you guys...

Find Me a Singaporean
http://www.findmeasingaporean.com